Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fair Fun

The Mississippi State Fair holds so many fond memories for me.  As a child, I remember the excitement of seeing the rides being put up near the Coliseum.  My father always took me on opening night.  It was just the two of us and  we would have so much fun riding the rides together.  As I got older, those father/daughter opening nights gave way to the teenage years of going with friends and double dates at the fair. 

Today, I can honestly say that the fair still holds the same allure for me, but in a different way.  I love walking down the Midway with David trying to figure out exactly what I want to eat. (I always peruse everything but my choice is always the same: a Pronto pup smothered in mustard) A new addition to my fair "must eats" is a fried snickers bar.  I figure I can indulge once a year on one.  Besides the food, I like to see Gabe's smile when he rides a ride and hear his laughter when he feeds a goat a carrot.



Through the many years of attending the fair, I can say that it seems unchanged to me. (Everything but the prices that is) I know that Circus Maximus will always be there.  The acts may vary a little from year to year, but they are basically the same I have grown up with.  The Trademart with the car show is a standard, as is the 4-H display.  We simply have to purchase our honey there, just as my mother always got her honey straws in my childhood.  The State Fair is truly a walk down memory lane for me.  In a time where everything changes, the fair is a constant.  It is there that I have memories that span seasons of my life, and I love the new memories I add to my storehouse with David and Gabe.


No comments:

Post a Comment